Monday, November 12, 2012

Time Out

This past weekend my Dad came to town to visit LC and, at one point, he gave DW and I a few hours "off" to go have a coffee date.  DW suggested, since the weather was cool, we should get our drinks to go and go hang out at the park near our house.  It was a sweet time together although admittedly weird without our tiny little sidekick. 


While romance has its place, some of the most blessed moments in this life with DW are when we just have some face to face time together...time to ask each other those tough questions that get lost sometimes in the craziness and go-go-go of life.  Are you happy right now? is a necessary but hard question to ask in marriage, however, I would submit somehow its easier to accept over a hot drink while holding hands. ;-) 

Being realistic, there is always work to be done but I love when we are tenderly yet wide open honest with one another.  Last night we were able to enter our "safe zone" - that place where we choose to suspend our individual rights (you know, the right to get our feelings hurt or argue for ourselves or defend).  We choose to see the world through our spouses eyes...and how strange and wonderful and painful it is.      

We aren't some couple passively hoping our marriage goes the distance on a wing and a prayer...we're working at it.  We fail each other, we surpass each other's expectations, we tick each other off, we know our lives are better because the other is in it...and, even after all this time, we're still learning one another.

This is my favorite journey...

   

11 comments:

wonderchris said...

So happy to be a spectator and cheerleader of your journey in any small way that I can be. :)

Loved this post!

The Bradford Blog said...

Dear God... Not THE park, I hope! ;)

Tiffany Mendenhall said...

Love it. It takes work...and it's so worth it! XO

Erin said...

I've only been married a year and half but had no idea how trying and how amazing marriage could be, all at the same time. It is SO MUCH work, but SO worth it!! Loved your perspective today :)

Mommy Mandy said...

LOVE this post! Marriage is wonderful, hard, and takes a lot of care. And how right you are. It is important to take time together, but also to make good use of that time!

Jennifer said...

I wrote about marriage today too. We were able to just be us and connect over the weekend too. It's so important to take that time - and I love the question you ask. Scary to be that vulnerable, but so necessary so that you can stay truly, happy together. (o:

Lanie said...

Aww. You guys are so cute together. I love being married, and having that partner through life. My favorite journey too! I definitely think marriage needs to be worked on and never put on cruise control.

Jeanie said...

That is a lovely picture of you two. Speaking of pictures, what happened to all the photos you had posted, including your banner?

Katy said...

That's good stuff :)

S.I.F. said...

This is beautiful.

J o s e y said...

The safe zone... me thinks that my husband and I need a visit to that space. *sigh* I'm glad you two were able to get some QT together like that!