Monday, December 10, 2012

Milestone Day...

Today was one of those dreary, rainy days here...LC is cutting teeth and has a cold and I was feeling a little funky myself.  By the time DW walked in the door, LC was clearly ready to see him because she practically jumped out of my arms into his and gave him a smile that could melt an iceberg.  As she was laying with her head on his shoulder, I gave him a wave and headed to the gym.  Little did I know this dreary, seemingly insignificant day would become a milestone day.
 
The second I walked back in the door, DW grabbed her and said, "Come here." and we walked into the living room where we have a big area rug.  "Go stand over by the Christmas Tree..." he says to me and, once I do, he puts LC down on the ground.  "Go see Mama..." he says...and much to my surprise/not surprise, she started walking toward me.  I've been expecting this for weeks...she's been ready and pulling along things for months really but I haven't been in a rush to encourage the full blow chaos of walking.  I've just been letting her figure things out when she's ready.  What did really surprise me, though, was how she went from no steps at all to 10 at a time.  Crazy! 
 
I asked him how the first couple steps happened and he somewhat sheepishly admitted he put her a couple steps away from the Christmas tree, assuming she would be motivated to get the ornaments and lights.  You know, the ones I've been no no-ing her about since we put our tree up?  Yea, those.  ;-)  Bad, Dada.
 
Sure enough, he said, that was all the motivation LC needed because she took off.  He said as soon as he saw she was ready, he snagged her up and wouldn't let her walk until I got home so we could experience it together - which I love him for.  I would have died if I'd missed that moment!
 
I can't believe this happened to me because I didn't used to be a super-sentimental person but after she walked to me and then gave me a huge hug when she got to my arms, I boo-hoo'd.  It was a happy cry because I was sooooooo sooooooo proud of her and there was a little part of my heart that exploded when I realized she graduated tonight.  My sweet baby just became a toddler. 
 
How?  How did it happen so fast? 
 
I would say in the last two weeks LC has changed so much it's mind-blowing.  I don't know what it was about 11 months but it was like the day she turned 11 months the kid turned into a...gasp...toddler practically.  She's giggling all the time and completely silly (video)...talking like a little gremlin (video/sound only) all the time...now she is walking (video)...she finally has hair with precious little curls...she is obsessed with reading and pointing out things in books...she "signs" so many things...she is affectionate...
 
I just want to eat her neck...
 
And speaking of affectionate...even though she has been kissing for months on command (and some of her own accord), I think she just really realized what kissing and hugging is about. 
 
Like, why you do it. 
 
My absolute favorite moment of each day is when I walk into her bedroom first thing in the mornings to get her.  I get the 1000 watt grin as soon as she sees me, then I pick her up and her little arms snake around my neck.  Once she has them tightly wrapped, she lays her head down and...........................she pats my back with her tiny little hands.  I die.  I didn't realize it until she started doing it but when I hold her in a hug, I always rub or pat her back and now she hugs me and pats mine.  It is literally a little slice of heaven...
 
About two weeks ago now, DW and I were in the kitchen and, I guess, LC doesn't love his scratchy face because she isn't one to give him very many kisses.  I heard him saying to her, "Give Daddy kisses..." and she would turn her head and bury her face but then look back at him and grin. 

The little tease. 

So I walked over to him and I said, "Dada, will you give Mama a kiss?" and then puckered my lips and leaned in, with her between us, and kissed him and made a big MWAH sound.  LC's eyes got really big and she looked back and forth between the two of us like, "WHAT was that?" 
 
We did it again...I said, "Dada, will you give Mama a kiss?"
 
MWAH.
 
And this time she smiled and did her excited wiggle. 
 
Then I leaned in close to her and said, "LC, will you give Mama a kiss..." and for the first time, she did the pucker her lips part and made a little noise with it.  It was stinking precious and just writing about it makes me feel emotional.  I think back to how disjointed and disconnected she was and now I look at this smiling, happy, thriving little girl and it's enough to bring me to my knees before God to thank Him.  I literally can't imagine our life without her...and I can't thank Him enough for this transformation in her and us. 
 
From that moment on, DW and I decided we need to make a big deal about loving one another.  We always hug and we are affectionate but we are making an intentional effort to show her that we are affectionate with one another now.  It has literally warmed my heart to watch her, first, understand it...and now it truly seems like its something we do that she is starting to expect and, I'm not exaggerating when I say that it seems to really make her happy.  You should see her face light up when we hug each other and kiss and then kiss her.  Sure, right now it might be a game to her but she's learning something.  She's learning to be affectionate and she's seeing us express our feelings for one another...and I just have to believe that - over time - it will create a sense of security for her. 
 
If I could hope and pray for three things for this little girl to be able to say about me to someone one day, it would this...
 
...first and foremost, my Mom loved God wholeheartedly and unashamedly...
...my Mom loved my Daddy (not perfectly but) with all of her heart...
 
...and for herself I want her to be able to say...
 
...I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that my Mom loved me with an unconditional, "top-of-my-head-to-the-bottom-of-my-toes" love...
 
God, I hope I can show her....give her...those things.  I feel like if I can get those three things right...the rest of it will all sort of just fall into place.  I'll make my mistakes in parenting her but I feel like, if I can get those three things right, the mistakes will take a backseat where they belong.     
 
 

9 comments:

kinsey said...

This made me teary and I SO agree with those 3 things!

Maggie said...

You are my favorite mom blogger to read. Your heart and emotion just pours through and it makes me insanely happy for you guys.

Sweet family that just warms my heart :) And how does it feel to have a little girl in your home that is determined to get your ornaments/lights?

Such a perfect Christmas present!

J o s e y said...

You are SO correct that those are the 3 most important points for us to make sure our children know. The rest is just small stuff.

YAY for a walker in the house! Stells takes a few steps here and there but no across the room walks yet. :) I'm sure she's hot on LC's toes though!

Jacquie said...

This just blessed my heart. Sweet, sweet post. I'm so thankful that your Hannah prayer was answered.

Lauren said...

This whole post just made my heart smile SO big!!!!! :)

Jeanie said...

You and DW are awesome parents -- so much wisdom!

Sabrina said...

I love this post. This makes me teary-eyed! I love to read your blog posts. You are full of wisdom and your heart is SO humble. I wish I could have a cup of coffee with you! You and DW are GREAT parents--no doubt about that!! :)

Greta said...

Ah, to excel at those three things! I agree, seems like most other stuff will fall into place if those are taken care of...if only those would be taken care of ;). You're doing a great job by the way!

mom said...

Perfectly said!